Tuesday 19 May 2015

If I Stay Review

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Released: April 6, 2010
Series: If I Stay Collection
Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 320
Stars: 4

Hey guys, so I just finished reading If I Stay by Gayle Forman and I really liked it! I thought it was really well written, and I enjoyed following the struggle and character development that Mia had to go through in order to make her decision.

On a day that started like any other...

Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left - the most important decision she'll ever make. 

Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting, and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving. 

At seventeen years old, Mia Hall is happy. She has a loving family, an incredible boyfriend, and she's going to Julliard to play the cello. On a snow day in Oregon causing an accident, she loses her entire family and proceeds to spend the day in an out-of-body-experience in the hospital watching nurses, her grandparents, her family, her best friend and her boyfriend come to grips with what has happened and try to convince her unconscious body to stay.

I actually really enjoyed this book. Aside from the outrageously tragic opening to this story, I love that Mia actually doesn't know if she wants to stay in a world without her family, or leave with them.

This book was beautiful written, and the addition of flashbacks of Mia's life with her family, her music, her friends and her boyfriend added so much character the story. I also really enjoyed that there was a large music aspect to this story.

Overall I thought it was a good book and would probably read it again in the future. I've already started the second one, Where She Went so hopefully it's just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment